Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Random Pictures of the Cattle

I've been meaning to get a few pictures of some of the cattle, but for some reason it's a little difficult to do that if you don't put the camera in your pocket and/or also forget to put new batteries in it when you finally  remember to put it in your pocket.

 So, I decided to take some pictures with my phone and even though the quality might be a little low, you can still tell that, "By golly, that Rich guy actually does have some cattle!"


  One of the bulls, watch out for him.

Two of the bulls, make double sure you watch out for both of them.  You'd be surprised how hard it is to get two bulls to "pose" for the camera at the same time.  When one is standing almost right for a picture, the other one decides he needs to throw some dirt on his back before his picture is snapped, then the other one decides that he ain't gonna let that other stinking bull get all prettied up for the camera like that so he has to throw some dirt on his back to show him up.  So, I end up with pictures of at least one of the bulls throwing dirt on his back.


Same two bulls, with a pond in the background (Hey, wait a minute, why isn't there any dirt being thrown around?!?). That pond almost looks huge in the picture, but it's only about an acre and a half in size.  Until some beavers showed up and did their typical vandalism job there used to be some trees scattered around that pond. 

It might be hard to tell, but those are some of the cows and a handful of calves way over there (Boy, the sky looks clearer and bluer than I remember).  

It's right in the middle of calving, and my typical day is putting out some hay for the cattle, checking for any new calves, then catching, tagging, and banding the ones that are a couple of days old.  I'd include some pictures of that, but it's a little hard to juggle a camera while holding down a calf. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm not taking my eyes off of you, Mr. Bull!

    I think I did mention that I took my moped for a ride a year or more ago, and encountered a bull loose in the middle of the road. I don't know that much about bulls, but my moped suddenly felt very tiny and vulnerable.

    It looks like the sun came out a bit over there... we were cloudy and windy today, getting a little dose of that rain they promised now.

    I always marvel at photos when I sit down to make a post... they show details or colors I do not remember either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst I've been hurt from being around cattle was when a little 80 lb. calf kicked me in the shin so hard it almost knocked me to the ground. I ended up with a huge bruise, limped for about a week, and thought for a while that I might have a cracked shin bone.

      Bulls are usually not that much more dangerous to be around than other cattle, they are just bigger and they know it.

      Delete
  2. I remember once as a boy being over at a neighbor Amish farm and the man decided to castrate a full grown bull for a reason that isn't clear to me today. At the time I was young enough to accept that those kinds of things happened to full grown bulls. He told us to climb up in the mow and look over the edge for our safety and then took a bean hook and cut them from outside the pen. That bull bellowed and went right through the side of the barn. I remember their being a lot of commotion and blood everywhere and looking back at it with more wisdom than a ten year old, I'm not sure how that bull didn't bleed to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always just banded our calves when they are pretty young, but if you cut them they shouldn't bleed a whole lot if you do it right. I don't see why you would want to castrate a full-grown bull.

      It sounds like your Amish neighbor was a bit of a nitwit, and proved that the myth about how all the Amish are such great farmers is indeed a myth.

      Delete
  3. I could give you tons of stories to prove that Amish aren't smart. I guess being PC about it you can blame it on their 8th grade education and being kept in the dark socially by their elders.

    By the way, I had a great trip (twice) through your state but my geography is way off. I thought I would be taking I-35 through the state but my GPS took me down Highway 75 in the very east part of the state. The wide open spaces that I remember from my previous trip through your state was in the western part before the panhandle of Texas. This time I saw a lot more rolling hills and huge reservoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explains why that guy in the car with Iowa plates looked at me so weird when I frantically waved my arms at him this weekend.

      Delete